Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Science of Goodbyes

Hola Amigos,

I had my last day at Morimoto today!! This was a longgg weekend. Between Fri, Sat and Sun I worked almost 30 hours! It is strange to be done though...it's crazy for me to think that I have been in this city long enough to have begin and end a job...and i'm kind of nervous to be starting a "real" job again! It's okay though..I need the change..and the money!

I will say that I noticed changes in people once they learned that I was leaving. There were the people that all of the sudden felt like we needed to exchange numbers and be friends...hmmm the whole time I worked here we never exchanged numbers so why are we now??...There were the people that would say whatever they felt like in front of me because "your leaving so it doesn't matter that I say this in front of you now"...there was the one server who told me he had to flirt with me my last few days...there were the people that introduced themselves to me for the first time...and my favorite, the people that were more nasty than usual because they didn't have to pretend to be nice to me anymore since I was leaving. Of course there were still the people that I've beens friends with all the way through and will miss as well! But really...does anyone else notice these types of changes when you leave a job or is this just me??

I think I handled these interesting changes fairly well though....the people that wanted to suddenly exchange numbers...I gave them mine when the asked but I didn't ask for theirs...the people that decided to say everything in front of me...I soaked it all in and will remember it ;)...the boy that needed to flirt...I ignored him...the people that for some reason felt the need to introduce themselves now...I was polite but didn't invest too much time in them...and the people that decided to be mean...I got crappy right back...i think I yelled at people in the kitchen 2 or 3 times in 3 days!!

I have to say the kitchen of high-end restaurants are definitely filled with snobs and racism. I never saw the attitudes of our kitchen staff until the last few days...and I didn't like what I saw. I definitely saw that if you don't have a penis or have an accent and dark skin you're going to have to fight to survive in the kitchen. I am not stupid enough to stereotype all white men in kitchens and imply they are all ignorant,racists, pigs...but I will say it about some! I may sound slightly more bitter and aggravated than I should while discussing this, but I am dating someone non white and I don't like the idea of him having to fight to be treated as an equal. From discussing this with Ali these types of attitudes are not uncommon though in the high end restaurant world...gosh am I glad this is the field he's in(in case you can't tell that sentence is dripping with sarcasm).

Okay folks that's all I got for ya! I promise the next post will be about more than just work...that's just all I did this weekend!

Oh wait! I did watch Mummy 1 and Mummy 2 and enjoyed both thoroughly! (Even though I feel asleep and missed the last 10 minutes of both of them!) And yes i'm probably gonna see the 3rd!!

I also bought my first Bollywood movie this weekend!! Well technically Ali bought it but i'm going to say it's mine! I love Hindi movies for 2 reasons...singing and dancing..you all HAVE to watch an indian movie..their great i'm telling you!

Okay now my update is done! I'll definitely have one tomorrow because I'm going to Atlantic City for my Bday!!!
Night all
Sarah

No comments: