Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Traveling the Concrete Jungle!

Hey Everybody,

So a few people have told me they're having trouble commenting on the blog. I have adjusted the settings so you should be able to comment...if you still have trouble let me know!

Also I have good news! I am definitely doing my orientation next Tuesday! So let's pray Salvation Army keeps up the pace and I still start on the 11th!

Also more good news :)...Aliasgar (Ali's cousin) is doing better today. Apparently yesterday in the hospital he couldn't even open his eyes and he opened them today! I also have a little more information on his illness. He has something called Japanese Encephalitis. Apparently it's common in Asia and passes to humans through mosquitos, pigs, and birds. It has lots of symptoms and can be very serious for infants. Luckily Ali's cousin is young and strong. He's not out of the woods yet but there were some positive signs today...I'll keep you posted.

So the link below (ps so proud I figured out how to make it so you all could click on it...I totally had to search their help section tho to figure it out :) is a picture of a monster and i'm not even kidding you! You have to go look at this thing! It washed up on the beach in the Hamptons and is a monster!!!!!

http://www.easthamptonstar.com/dnn/Home/News/MysteryThing/tabid/6189/Default.aspx

Okay so now that I've talked jobs and monsters I have pictures today!! Yesterday I documented my commute to school. I wanted you all to get a taste of NYC style commuting! hahahaha

So I left my house at 3:10...I forgot to take a picture of the street I live on...don't worry it's not to exciting.



This is a picture of Richmond Ave. We live right off of this road. It's one of the busiest roads on SI.
















This is Victory Blvd. Another really busy road on SI. If you hit this road at the wrong time of day the traffic can be torture. The second pic is me getting on the SI expressway to get to the Verrazano Bridge.








At 3:18 I hit the SIE (Staten Island ExpressWay)...and the traffice jams begin right away. The first picture is what with SIE CAN look like...the second is what is was like for me yesterday!



















3:28 These are pictures of the Verrazano Bridge that robs me of $10 a day....hmmm do i seem a little bitter about that!?!?!?









3:32 This is me getting off the Verrazano Bridge







































3:33 I get on the Belt Parkway. The traffic always starts out decent and moves to a traffic jam. Yesterday was worse than normal....The 3rd pic is proof I'm moving about 30mph...the 4th picture is what's after the jam!!...NY roads are so weird....it was completely backed up and then all of the sudden clear!!












4:02 Getting off the Belt and onto Van Wyck...by this point I've driven across the southern park of Brooklyn and on Van Wyck I get completely out of Brooklyn and into Queens.















4:04 The Van Wyck Expressway is definitely not an expressway!! I'm only on it for about 1 mile but it takes me a good 10-15 minutes (on really bad days longer to go this distance!) It's deceiving too...the 1st pic is what it looks like for the first 30 seconds and then it turns to a crazy traffic jam...












4:20 I get off Van Wyck and Get on Main St for just a few minutes (2st pic). The third pic is of Union Turnpike. This is one of the major roads in Queens.




















4:26 Finally at school!!! I turn on Utopia and then turn into school!!













Posting pics takes wayyyy longer than I thought (about an hour and a half!!) So i'm going to bed!! You all will just have to wait til tomorrow to see what St John's actually looks like ;)

Good Night!

LOVE
Sarah

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK 1. Mom is gonna kill you for driving and taking pics at the same time ;) and 2. Did you HAVE to post that link to the monster?? Now I'm going to think of that thing when I'm in the water and worry it's gonna attack me! 3.