Friday, July 25, 2008

It's just the beginning.....

Friends and Fam I’m starting a blog!

I have decided to document my life out here in NYC because I feel like no one really knows what life is like out here and what I do most days…. so now I’m going to show you!!

Just in case some of you don’t know, I moved to NYC (specifically Staten Island) this past January. I live with my boyfriend, Ali and his family. The decision to live with Ali and his family was very difficult and created a lot of conflict within me. The decision was and still is helpful financially but difficult emotionally as many of you know! The cultural and generational difference because Indian parents and a liberal American girl is quite different let me tell you! BUT all experiences help you grow….and that’s all I can say. I don’t want judgement for my decision just acceptance that it was my decision to make.

I started working at Morimoto restaurant as a reservationist right when I moved out here to get money ASAP. Ali works for the sister restaurant, Buddakan, and so lets face it…he got me the job ;) I’m still at Mori but I will be leaving soon (on my bday actually) to start a new job in Jamaica, Queens, NY as a social worker for women in a homeless shelter. Friends…this is going to be an experience! It will be much better than Mori because its full time and tons more pay but it will be a challenge due to the diversity of Queens NY. I will be a minority at my job..big time! Queens is one of the most diverse areas of this country…and I’m not making that up…its true!! I’m excited for the challenge though and although my true interest is sociology, I strongly believe in social service and look forward to starting! Trust me there will be a post after that first day!!

Along with working I am also going to school at St John’s University (also in Queens about 5 minutes from where I’ll be working…this is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!) I am alsoooo getting my masters in sociology. I have just started classes and I’m really loving it. I took a class last summer session analyzing race and gender in film and currently studying the sociology of youth. Trust me you will also get tons of posts about my classes…you would be amazed how much sociology causes you to really think about things and question what you think is cold hard truth….I’ll probably graduate next Dec 2009 and hopefully go on to get my PhD…but that’s a ways down the road!

My life is going to be changing a lot over the next year and a half as I am out here. I want to be able to share that change with everyone I love. I feel so far from everyone while I’m out here and I don’t want to feel isolated in this experience…knowing I’ll have family and friends that love and support me staying up-to-date on my life helps to comforts me.

I know this first blog was a really quick overview of everything :) I promise throughout the next few posts you’ll get a lot more…especially a lesson in the geography of NYC…because I know none of you understand the burroughs at all :) You’ll gets tons of storys from my life living with an Indian family, commuting in this insane city, my sociology classes and soon my job…as well as some really emotional blogs…you all know I can cry with the best of them ;)

Thanks for reading everybody and I’ll do my best to post every day or so!!

Love Sar

No comments: