Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Gratitude

Hey All,
So I was going to post pictures today so you all could see my commute and St. John's, but I've had a rough day and don't think I'd do a good job explaining the mass amount of pictures I took...today just felt like a hard day.

I am suppose to be starting a new job this coming Monday, Aug 4th. Yesterday I got some news from my soon-to-be supervisor that I may not be able to start on the
4th, but that she would call me today and give me a definite answer....well she called today with frustrating news. I have to complete a drug test, background check, and orientation before I can start. I was suppose to do all of this either last week or this week...however the big wigs of salvation army are moving verrryy slowly with my paperwork and this testing/orientation won't be happening until the earliest next Tuesday Aug 5th. Grrrr so that means the earliest my first day can be is Monday Aug 11th...and she couldn't even guarantee me that!!!!! Friends I am sooo stressed out right now. My last few checks from Mori are super small and the longer I go before I start my new job the longer I go without a really paycheck....which is a requirement to pay bills. I'm not looking for pity or money...just need to vent a little. I know everything will work out but when things like this happen I just get more frustrated living out here in NY. It's so expensive it makes the stress of having very little money that much greater. My commute is $400 a month. It just blows my mind....I can't even think about it....I am so lucky I have people that I can turn to...I think of all the people that don't have family and a support system...

Today Ali also got some very bad news. One of his cousins, Aliasgar, in India was diagnosed with a possibly non-curable illness. We don't have a lot of information right now but the illness is something that's causing spasms and numbing all over his body. Ali's extremely worried especially because Aliasgar was planning to move to London next month. I couldn't understand why this was such a concern until I pried more information out of Ali. It's not easy to move out of a 3rd world country. It takes a lot of money and luck and this illness may be ruining Aliasgar's chance. This is something i'll never fully be able to understand. Can you imagine....living somewhere were all you can focus on and plan for is getting out...to find opportunity....it's such an overwhelming thought. I too often forget the blessing of being born in a wealthy country....

To continue with the theme of experiences I'll never have...as I was driving to school today I was listening to NPR ( I can't stand the stupid music on the radio anymore) and listened to a news story about AIDS in Uganda. The story was like all the others we hear...the huge percentage of people every day that are diagnosed with AIDS in Africa. The news story was discussing that many of the men in Uganda are getting circumsized to help prevent the contraction of AIDS (according to the news it decreases their risk by up to 60% - doesn't make sense to me but I'm not an expert). Anyways the news story was discussing how the US is giving free circumcisions to men in Uganda but many of the men are hesitant due to the fear that getting circumsized means they will not longer be Christians and be converted to Muslims!! About 90% of the population in this particular area of Uganda are Christian and this fear is very common. Not only did this story make me sit and think about the devastation of AIDS but the lack of education in other countries. I was shocked at the vastness of this believe.

However, to end on a lighter note go to this link. During the news story they played the "circumcision song" that a few Ugandan men came up with to encourage others to get circumsized. Although about a serious matter the song is hilarious! I don't know about anyone else but sometimes I get so discouraged by all the pain and turmoil of this would...but then you have songs like this to lighten the mood :)

(The first link takes you to the story and allows you to hear the song, the second one I think takes you directly to the song but i'm not sure...i'm also still working on how to make it so you all can just click on it...for now it's good ol' cut and paste)

http://www.theworld.org/?q=node/19775
http://www.theworld.org/mp3/CircumcisionSong.mp3


I know God wanted me find out about Aliasgar today and I know he wanted me listen to the AIDS coverage in Uganda. I know because I wanted to spend the whole day having pity for myself and being angry that I'm going to be straped for cash for a couple weeks. But I couldn't....because God showed me issues that really deserve anger...issues that really deserve to occupy your mind the whole day...issues that deserve attention and concern. I will get past my money problems...illness, disease, poverty, lack of education...I have none of these problems.

God gave me another lesson in gratitude today...and I am thankful.

I love you all.

I'll post pictures tomorrow.

LOVE

Sarah

No comments: