Thursday, August 7, 2008

Vulnerability

I felt a need to release all the thoughts inside my head today...and this is what came out...

I run to find the pain
To feel the exhaustion of my body
My shins as they begin sting
My thighs as they begin to burn
The cramping in my side and the warming of my face

I run to escape the questions and confusion
The swirling in my mind
The frustration and the fear,
The all consuming thoughts
that roll around inside of me
and never find their way out

I run to find the power within me
To weaken and burn
the thoughts inside of me
To destroy them ever nagging,
Grabbing at my mind
Defining my every being

I run to escape the fear
Of the difference and changing,
The unfamiliar and the foreign
I run to find the satisfaction and peace
The calming and the soothing

I run to find the home in my mind
but never do I find it
I run to hear the sound of the stillness and peace
But I find the hustle and bustle
I run to feel the breeze of the summers
But I find the car exhaustion as it hits my body
I run to find the familiar aroma of the cows
But I find the scent of an Indian woman walking in my path
I run to see the cornstalks on corner
But I find the cement buildings, never ending
I run for the taste of cinnamon and sugar
But I find the curry and cumin

I run for the longing of my home
But can I find it here?
How do I find it in this sea of unfamiliar
How do I find it, my comfort
My comfort in this chaos

How to I find my state of mind
How do I find my mental home
How do I stop my endless search
And find this place called home


By Sarah Clauser

It is not easy to shift our views in order to see new things in place of the old. It is often confusing and frightening to make a shift away from the familiar in order to embrace the unknown. Yet is is a necessary labor we must undertake in order to grow. No matter how difficult, challenging, or hard it may see, shifts are necessary when the time comes to free ourselves from the confinemtn of mental, emotional or physical boxes. – Iyanla Vanzant


"Give A Man A Home"

Have you ever lost your way
have you ever feared another day
have you ever misplaced your mind
watching this world leave you behind

won't you
won't you give
won't you give a man
give a man a home

have you ever worn thin
have you ever never known where to begin
have you ever lost your belief
watching your faith turn to grief

won't you
won't you give
won't you give a man
give a man a home

in a world that is unwhole
you have got to fight to keep your soul
some would rather give than receive
some would rather give up before they believe

won't you
won't you give
won't you give a man
give a man a home

-Ben Harper


Dear Self
Free your mind from the dead things
You wanted to do but allowed yourself to believe
You weren’t good enough, smart enough, young or old
Enough to do.
Free your heart from the fear that someone
Can stop you or harm you.
Free your self from self-imposed limitations
Of age, color and gender.
Free your body from the harmful things you love
Even when you know they are
absolutely no good for you.
Freedom is the key.
You must not let anything or anyone
Confine you or define you!

Freedom is a state of mind!

Iyanla Vanzant

No comments: