Thursday, August 28, 2008

Whew...

Hey Everybody,
So I know I've been slow posting this week but the last two days have been crazy!!
Tuesday was a much slower day at work than Monday..thanks goodness! BUT yesterday and today have been complete madness.

Yesterday I worked a full 8 hr day and then had my first night of classes from 4:40-10:00! What a day!! It was nice to get back to classes though because honestly it's the most stimulating thing for me. I love my classes and I love that they're all about what I'm interested. My first class from 4:40-6:40 is cultural studies...it's going to be difficult because my professor sometimes talks over our heads but she's very nice and an interesting person. After culture studies I have stats until 10:00. I'm not too nervous about this class. I have a young male professor that is very laid back and has the attitude of "come to class, do your work, and I'll do my best to give you a good grade".

Today I did the same routine. I worked all day until 6:30 and went to class from 7-9. This class is social theory. This is the class I'm most worried about. I had this professor over the summer and his teaching style is not my preferred. He tends to go on tangents and is VERY opinionated! Now don't get me wrong, a lot of sociologists are but man...I can't even explain his level of opinionatedness! HA!

Work has been going well. I'm overwhelmed at times but I'm still liking my job. I haven't had any clients completely chew me out which I was warned would happen...I think this is because I'm not nearly as blunt or unfriendly as some. I meet with I think a totally of 10 clients today and I only have 20 active clients. I technically have 28 clients but I don't work with some of them because of their status in the shelter right now. I will tell you one frustrating thing about my job is the parenting!!! AHHH I don't have kids so I won't pretend to know anything about parenting but man...I gotta think I know more than some of these people. I had one family in my office today and one of the kids, Jameer who's 3, was being horrible. I believe he has some kind of developmental delayed because he doesn't talk much and doesn't ask 3 but he is a TERROR! He was tearing things off my walls, throwing things, having tantrums...the whole nine yards! The worst part is it's not like the mom (well technically she's grandma) wasn't trying to stop it, she just wasn't effective. At one point I just stared at the boy with the most stern face I could to try to scare him into behaving...it had little effect people! A lot of my parents don't know how to be parents though and it's sad...I can see already these children will have problems in life...it's inevitable with their upbringing....

Sorry I don't think I can write much more of an update! I'm so tired and I have to get up at 5:30 tomorrow! I have to get to work early because I'm leaving tomorrow to fly HOME!!!
I'm so excited and I know I'll have tons of pictures and things to say after this weekend!!
Love
Sar

No comments: