Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dude...today's Thursday??!!?

Hey All,
So I definitely thought today was Wednesday! I can't believe tomorrow is Friday! Work has been going well...I'm actually starting to enjoy it more and more. The first day is always hard but I'm starting to get to know people and my job better and better with every day. I think I'll feel decently confident once I start working with clients (which won't be until the 25th!). Tuesday, Wednesday and today I spent reading files on my clients and meeting with more people at Briarwood (the name of the facility I work at) and learning what their role is. My job is to be a resource for all of my clients so I need to know everyone's job as well as a lot of government programs like housing, public assistance, social security etc. One thing I'm noticing and really liking is that the program is very organized. Everyone has just one job and knows it well....does that make sense? I just feel like for employees and clients it's really clear what everyone does and there's no overlap or anything.
I actually got a little more outspoken today and got in a "heated discussion" with a maintenance worker at the building. Today we had a going away party for the girl I'm replacing and everyone in the building was invited. We actually are really close with our maintenance men! My guy is Harris :) We've bonded well. Anyway...one of them decided to start a conversation at the end of the going away party with a couple of us employees. He decided to bring up a discussion about the "N" word. He is black and feels like he has the right to say it. At Briarwood I'm actually a minority. Most of the staff is black or hispanic, with a few white. Which is fine, I actually enjoy the diversity...but anyways...so myself and this guy as well as 2 other black women, another white girl, and another black man were are sitting and having this conversation. It got quite heated because all of us except the 2 black men felt no one should use the "N" word, black or white. It turned into a 30min discussion about why it's not okay for anyone to use it (which is due to it's symbolism and the history and meaning of the word, as well as respecting the people that were actually affected by the meaning of the word). It was such a frustrating conversation because this man continued to think because I'm from Indiana I must use the word and be racist because "everyone from Indiana is racist", according to him.
It was interesting though because I've never shown my opinion so loudly and openly or so quickly when I've just started a job. It was kind of relieving though...to just give my opinion and say this is what I think...I don't care if you don't like it!!!
Nothing else too exciting has happened in the last few days!! I could give you a few stories about clients but I'm tired and have to get up early tomorrow. I'm going to work early because I'm going to Rach's for the weekend and leaving right after work!!
K...I'm going to bed all.
Good Night!
Sarah

No comments: